A walker discovered at 6 a.m. today that the Buttonwood Heights sinkhole expanded overnight by another 5 to 8 feet.
Villages Public Safety and Community Watch were back at the site at Chalmer Terrace this morning keeping the curious and the media further back from the scene than they had been allowed this past weekend.
Rich Corr, who lives next door to the house which had been at the center of the sinkhole drama, said this morning he and his wife are packing their bags.
“We don’t know if we are going to have to go or what,” he said.
Corr said water has been shut off to several houses in the neighborhood, although their water was still on.
He also said several neighbors had been asked by public safety to move their cars out of the area.
The sinkhole was originally discovered in January. Remediation work had been ongoing at the site, however the sinkhole dramatically expanded Saturday. It was estimated to be 60 feet deep at its deepest.
A geologist from Bracken Engineering of Tampa on Easter morning declared the site “a save.”
Jay Silver, president of Helicon Property Restoration, which had been hired by the homeowner’s insurance company was out Monday afternoon talking to the media and handing out Sinkhole Survival Kits to residents.
Bracken and Helicon were reportedly heading back to the scene this morning.
Keep checking back at www.villages-news.com for details on this developing story.
Bracken Engineering is supposed to be at a Mallory Hill sinkhole site later this week. Learn more at the link below:
Jump to Comments