Flooded Villagers frustrated by lack of response

The Villages has witnessed unprecedented flooding in the wake of Hurricane Irma.

Water has been about six inches deep on Overbrook Court in the Village of Chatham.

“It has not receded one inch in two days. It will take more than draining a pond to get rid of the water. There is a valve at the end of the street that needs to be opened,” said resident Dolores Bradley.

She has been living in the Village of Chatham for 14 years and she remembers when the street flooded in 2004.

“They came here and pumped it out then,” she said. “We have been calling asking for it to be pumped out.”

Overbrook Court in the Village of Chatham has flooded.

Overbrook Court in the Village of Chatham has flooded.

She has not ventured out of her home since the street flooded.

Shirley Rickis is up in Connecticut and has been worried about water creeping up on her home on Nell Way on the Historic Side of The Villages.

Water has been creeping up on homes on Nell Way on the Historic Side of The Villages.

By some accounts, Irma dumped about 10 inches of rain on The Villages.

A flooded tunnel near Havana Country Club proved problematic for a Villager traveling in a golf cart earlier this week.

The tunnel under the entrance to Lynnhaven has also flooded in the wake of Hurricane Irma.

The tunnel under the entrance to Lynnhaven was flooded in the wake of Hurricane Irma.

Columbia ParCar_575x300_Jun17

Rich Sobieray

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha

I knew it would not be long before someone would take advantage of our two recent tragedies to create another poisonous anti-Trump diatribe. … Read More

JimmysMoving_575x300_June17

Comments

1. Earle Russell says

Although the flooded streets are a “slight inconvenience” the reason they are flooded is because the storm water drains are clogged. A county engineer that I spoke with said that the pipes do not have a piece (I’m not an engineer) in them to stop the silt and sand from filling them. Also, when was the last time you saw the Villages clean out those storm drains? It would not take much more rain to flood the houses on those streets that are already flooded. If that happens the utopia of the developer and the everything is good villages will fade quickly. That county engineer was dead serious when he said it was a Village problem and everyone on these streets should call the Villages property management, and Village Watch and anyone else you can to make sure they have the information documented on what streets and what drains are clogged up. It’s nice to be Polly Positive but you better take off the rose colored glasses and demand a fix to the flooding. The Villages is supposed have reasonably new infrastructure that handles the problems the developer knew about before he sold it out.

• LiZa Adkison says

Earle, i fully agree with you… i believe the storm drains are clogged due to the landscape contractors that are remiss in their handling/care of grass and trimmings… they do not REMOVE same, they BLOW it off pavement… but it then is blown (by the wind) into the storm drains… we all had some debris in our yards after this storm, but look at all the COMMON areas, such as the roadways, rec centers, mailbox centers, outside villas>>> these areas are ALL super COVERED with leaves, moss, branches, grass from the plantings… the landscape contractors for these areas are paid a PREMIUM dollars, with OUR money… but no one from the villages checks up on their work… they do not trim with any kind of regularity, and when they do, it is LEFT where it drops… hence, a whole lotta landscape debris gets blown into the storm drains… now, they are paid another PREMIUM amount, to go clean up, that which they should have trimmed and cleaned up under their ORIGINAL contract… we are being SCREWED from all directions: 1) the area is NOT properly maintained… 2) the remains have caused backup and flooding… 3) we again pay DEARLY for them to remove, that which they should have removed initially… Janet Tutt, are you reading this??? do you realize how REMISS the VILLAGES is in checking up on these contractors??? do you care???

• LiZa Adkison says

as a heart attack Bill… have you driven by any of the common areas??? have you not seen the MOUNDS of debris, from the total lack of MAINTENANCE???… i had about 25 extra magnolia leaves, from my neighbors tree in my yard>>>splain that one to me Lucy

2. Paul Donovan says

This again is a relatively minor issue when compared to what millions of Floridians are dealing with. People have no power and may not have it for 2 weeks, 90 degree heat to deal with, roofs ripped off their homes, flooded homes etc etc. You don’t have to go too far outside TV to find these conditions. Conversely, people in TV are complaining because a restaurant isn’t open or their road hasn’t been pumped out 2 days after being hit by a hurricane.. Unreal. Every time you complain about a business not being open, consider what the employees/owners of that business might be dealing with at home. It is not that they don’t want to open, they may be suffering, busy repairing their homes or truly cannot safely drive to work due to hazasrds. All will return to “normal” in due time but for now make the best of it and be grateful it wasn’t worse than it was here in TV. Even better, seek out others in need and lend a hand. There is true suffering going on right now just outside the bubble and in the historic area. Let somebody from there stay at your home, get a hot shower and some air conditioning. Costs you nothing but they will be forever grateful.

• Julie Foster says

Paul Donovan, Are you serious? While I agree about people complaining about some street flooding being ridiculous and complaining about restaurants and businesses not being open, I do not agree with your tone about the bubble of The Villages. Let me tell you I have lived here for 22 years, and I’m not at all a fan of the changes we have seen in The Villages since Harold Schwartz died, especially in the last couple of years. I would love to move elsewhere, but my spouse has dug in his heels. We had no flooding in our area, found being without power frustrating and uncomfortable especially since I have health issues which make it very difficult for me to control my body temperature but nothing was as frustrating as watching my neighbors go through this crisis. He is 98 and extremely fragile, she is 89 and has dementia. They have 4 children up north, who did nothing but talk to the caregiver who lives 45 minutes away from this couple and was also in danger from the storm so we tried to help as much as possible. When our power went out, I knew that would be a problem for the man who uses oxygen, so I called 911 who put me through to “EMS”. I was told that they could not go out because of the storm, but they would as soon as possible. As of yesterday, they never showed up! His large rolling portable tank was empty so I called The Villages hospital to see if they could help get some oxygen to him. Nope! The company who supplies his oxygen needs refused to make deliveries because of gas issues. They told the caregiver that she could come pick it up, but the company is 45 minutes away, a round trip for her, then she would need to get home also 45 minutes away. There was no gas in our area either. If I could come face to face with their children, I would have a few words for them. One of them should have come down here to either take their parents home with them or stay with them for the duration, before, during and after the storm. My husband and I both sustained injuries while trying to help our neighbors. More people should be willing to do that rather than worry about a little water on their streets. If they elected to stay here, they should have been prepared to deal with some issues. In my neighborhood people were out cleaning up and taking care of problems rather than sitting on the computer complaining!

• LiZa Adkison says

Julie, i have been out of town, taking care of my grands, while schools were closed… if these people still need help, would you please call me??? i am in the phone book

3. Barbara Vihnanek says

We here in The Villages have a lot to be thankful for. We have our homes, our lives, our friends and neighbors. The flooding and tree removal will be taken care of in due time. Lets pray for those that do not have what we have.

4. Laurie Stowell says

One thing that could be different is that the streets in Marion ct.y .are considered private..I believe residents have control not the villages..unlike Sumter county where they maintain the roads and drains..we had a drain issue and called the District offices a month ago and they called Sumter county to look at it.they we’re responsible…so maybe she should contact Marion Cty

• Jim Kinley says

I was not aware the streets/roads in Marion County are private. My question is why are they private? That seems very unusual to me. Of course, we live in Sumter County.

• Ann Eggleston says

That’s why TV decided not to be a true gated community. They would have to maintain the roads. As it is, the county does. In gated communities in Marion County the community is responsible for the roads. The rest of the roads are maintained by the county.

5. matt nichols says

Note to Shirley Rickis: not a good idea to put your name, the street you live on, a picture of your empty home, and the fact that you’re out of state on the internet! Wake up!

6. Bradley Neighbors says

6″ of water in a street is a slight inconvenience at best. I also say “cudos” and thank you to the engineers and developers of The Villages. I still have family and friends in Houston, TX that are just making it back in to their homes that have been flooded by several feet of rain water from Hurricane Harvey since it made landfall on August 25th! 25% of the homes in the FL Keys are gone! The U.S. Navy is responding with war ships to their aid. I’m so very sorry that a few people have a few inches of water in their street.

7. Ellen Cora says

Flooding of golf courses and high water levels in some retention ponds IS by design. To learn more about the ‘state-of-the-art’ engineering that is built into The Villages infrastructure, visit villagesgov.org and sign up for our very informative Citizens Academy.

With all the fatalities and total destruction in the Caribbean and south Florida from Hurricane Irma, a few inches of water in a few Villages streets is minor. I would put on a pair of boots or old shoes and deal with it. The cool water might actually feel refreshing. Be well.

• Joseph Bailey says

Well said, Cuz….These(some) pampered pets we have here in TV seem to think they are the only ones “devastated”, by a few inches of water…Get a life. I remember when I plowed snow in NY; they(cry babies), wanted me to be there when the last flake fell to do THEIR driveway…Never mind the rest of the city that was buried…They came FIRST…Such is life…I’m coming back early this year, maybe I can help someone ELSE…

8. Anne Cink says

In a crisis, there are always some people who have it worse than others! It’s too bad someone hasn’t been able to relieve the flooding on some streets, but they’ll be there soon! I hope help comes today.
    May I take this chance to praise The Villages and the developers and the crews working to clean up the mess! The storm drainage infrastructure was severely tested and handled the crisis beautifully! I’ve seen lots of pictures of lakes, ponds, etc. out of their banks. Everywhere, the overflow has collected on paved streets and parking lots and on golf courses and preserve, where they do no damage to homes and lives. I have to think that was by design. I’ve not seen one house with flood water in it.
    Bravo to the developers for their planning! And, thank you to all those out there working so hard to return our “Home” to normal!

9. Ron Mills says

Dee,

I’m sure that there are other issues that need to be addressed before they start pumping out your street. It hasn’t happened since 2004 so you have another 13 years before it will happen again.Lighten up.

10. Sherry Alexander says

You have to realize also that you are NOT in a high priority section. The new sections of Pine Ridge, Fenney, and Southern Oaks where they have lots of homes to sell are the priority sections. They won’t get to the rest of The Villages probably until next week or so.

• Anne Cink says

Sherry Alexander, you know that old saying, “If you can’t say something nice…….! Why the need to disrespect people at a time like this?
      How about some praise for the preparation and response! I’ve seen a lot of pictures of flood waters in The Villages! In all of them water is flowing into places where it does no damage to homes and is no threat to human life! I’ve seen response crews working long and hard to restore normalcy to our” little slice of Paradise”! I’ve seen neighbors being mostly patient and helpful and “neighborly”!
      Bravo to the developers and to the response teams! Can’t we do away with the snarking for just a little while?

• Ann Eggleston says

Oh for heavens sake. You’re alive aren’t you? You aren’t sitting in water in your living room are you? I seriously doubt a lot of people are out shopping for homes right now. A street with some water in it is not a priority. My guess is she has power. No lights or A/C is bad. Water in the street? Not so much. How selfish can a person be?

• LiZa Adkison says

Sherry, you are soooooooooooooo spot on, but people do NOT want to hear TRUTH… i love Anne Cink and Ann Eggleston more than i can put into words, but i disagree with them on this one… those areas, where they are SELLING, are their one and ONLY priority… i continue to thank GOD, that we were spared the force of a true hurricane, as south florida got… but the lack of ongoing maintenance in the older “sold out” areas is egregious by ANY standards