Villagers’ generosity and Christmas spirit have topped all expectations.
This year’s 2019 Sumter County Sheriff’s Bicycle Collection (designed and funded by Sheriff Bill Farmer) has succeeded in collecting and distributing over 340 bicycles. Here is what villagers have done for the children and some adults in Sumter County:
• 52 new in the box children’s bikes were donated by individual Villagers (including one anonymous villager who donated 22 bikes). All were assembled by volunteers from The Villages bicycle community.
• A record number of gently used bicycles were delivered to the front door of the Villages Commanders office on Morse and CR466. These were stored until the day of the collection. Also, thank you to the storage facilities that allowed us to use their facilities as a holding area.
• 40 volunteers from Villages bicycle community (Sumter Landing Bicycle Club, The Village Bicycle Club and the Panthers Tandem Bicycle Club) worked their magic on collecting, fixing and beautifying the donated bikes at the Lake Miona Recreation Center (thanks to The Villages Recreation Department).
• Several sheriff’s deputies worked the whole day on the logistics of delivering stored bikes to the Lake Miona Recreation Center as well as delivering the finished bikes to the designated distribution locations around Sumter County (more than 340 bikes).
• Every dollar of your cash donations received went toward the purchase of new children’s bikes.
• It needs to be said again… Thank you Villagers.
Dave Lawrence is a leader in The Villages bicycling community.