As of Monday, there were 51,764 cases of COVID-19 in Florida, which includes 879 new positive cases. Test results for more than 41,500 individuals were reported to the Department of Health as of midnight, on Sunday, May 24.
Our positivity rate continues to stay low, at 2.5 percent. The list of long-term care facilities with active COVID-19 cases is available here.
Across my district, the reports of new positive cases continues to be low:
- Citrus County has 119 confirmed cases with 1 new case reported on 5/23;
- Hernando County has 108 confirmed cases, including 2 new cases reported on 5/24;
- Lake County has 262 positive cases with 4 new cases reported on 5/23;
- Marion County has 232 confirmed cases, with 1 new case reported on 5/24; and
- Sumter County has 252 positive cases with the last new case reported on 5/20.
Please be aware, scammers are pretending to be COVID-19 contact tracers to try to gain your personal information including your Social Security number, bank account information, or credit card number. Many of these scams will come via text messages with a hyperlink that downloads malicious software. An official Department of Health text will not include a link; it will only be to notify you that a health official is going to call.
Congressman Daniel Webster represents The Villages in the U.S. House of Representatives.