Four more local residents have succumbed to COVID-19 as the number of new cases slowed Monday across the tri-county area.
Three of the latest fatalities were residents of Marion County and the other one lived in Lake County. They were identified by the Florida Department of Health as:
- 74-year-old Marion County man who tested positive Sept. 26;
- 75-year-old Marion County man who tested positive Sept. 28;
- 74-year-old Marion County woman who tested positive Sept. 30; and
- 86-year-old Lake County woman who tested positive Aug. 11.
Only 14 new COVID-19 cases were reported Monday in and around The Villages. Those include:
- The Villages (Sumter, Lake and Marion counties) up three for a total of 716;
- Summerfield up four for a total of 409;
- Leesburg up three for a total of 1,313;
- Wildwood up one for a total of 439;
- Lady Lake up one for a total of 337;
- Fruitland Park up one for a total of 176; and
- Belleview up one for a total of 365.
Sumter County is now reporting 2,648 cases – an increase of 4 from Sunday to Monday – among 1,496 men, 1,130 women, 10 non-residents and 12 people listed as unknown. A total of 205 cases have been reported in long-term care centers and 720 in correctional facilities. There have been 77 deaths and 267 people treated in area hospitals.
The Villages continues to pace Sumter County with 672 cases. Besides those in Wildwood mentioned above, others have been identified in Coleman (639), Bushnell (318, 140 of which are at the Sumter Correctional Institution among 103 inmates and 37 staff members), Oxford (137), Webster (94), Lake Panasoffkee (83), Center Hill (53), Sumterville (45) and the Lady Lake portion of the county (41). The federal prison in Coleman also is reporting 200 cases among 96 inmates and 104 staff members.
Below is a breakdown of other COVID-19 activity in the local area:
- Cases: 20,754 – increase of 36
- Men: 9,298
- Women: 11,250
- Non-residents: 82
- People listed as unknown: 124
- Deaths: 607
- Hospitalizations: 1,936
- Cases: 7,939 – increase of 22
- Men: 3,666
- Women: 4,115
- Non-residents: 53
- People listed as unknown: 105
- Cases in long-term care facilities: 640
- Cases in correctional facilities: 267
- Deaths: 206
- Hospitalizations: 661
- Cities with most cases: Clermont (1,977), Leesburg (1,313), Tavares (753), Eustis (627) and Mount Dora (611). The Villages also is reporting 39 cases.
- Cases: 10,167 – increase of 10
- Men: 4,136
- Women: 6,005
- Non-residents: 19
- People listed as unknown: 7
- Cases in long-term care facilities: 1,044
- Cases in correctional facilities: 2,230
- Deaths: 324
- Hospitalizations: 1,008
- Cities with most cases: Ocala (7,824), Summerfield (409), Belleview (365), Dunnellon (348) and Citra (192). The Villages is reporting five cases. A total of 1,420 cases also have been reported among inmates (1,318) and staff members (102) at Lowell Correctional Institution and Marion Correctional Institution.
All told, Florida is reporting 736,024 COVID-19 cases – an increase of 1,533 from Sunday to Monday. Of those, 726,934 are residents. A total of 48,457 cases have been reported in long-term care centers and 23,461 in correctional facilities. Across the state, there have been 15,599 deaths and 46,015 people have been hospitalized.