On the day when Florida surpassed 8.8 million residents vaccinated against COVID-19, the Sunshine state reported more than 5,300 new cases of the virus and 81 more fatalities – three of which were in the local area.
The latest local deaths were identified in Lake County. They are among the 1,850 tri-county area fatalities, the 35,858 in Florida and the 575,551 across the country, according to statistics provided by the Florida Department of Health and Johns Hopkins University.
As of Thursday, 379,259 vaccines had been administered in the tri-county area. Of those, 296,369 area residents have received both doses. The complete tri-county area breakdown for vaccinations includes:
- Sumter County: 83,174 (70,433 both doses);
- Lake County: 163,898 (126,092 both doses); and
- Marion County: 132,187 (99,844 both doses).
All told, Florida is reporting 2,233,518 COVID-19 cases – an increase of 5,306 from Thursday to Friday. Of those, 2,191,695 are residents. A total of 84,704 COVID-19 cases have been reported in long-term care centers and 32,379 in correctional facilities. Across the state, 90,489 people have been hospitalized.
Locally, 32 new COVID-19 cases were reported Friday in and around The Villages. Those include:
- The Villages (Sumter, Lake and Marion counties) up 4 for a total of 4,611;
- Leesburg up 7 for a total of 4,388;
- Summerfield up 5 for a total of 1,911;
- Belleview up 5 for a total of 1,362;
- Lady Lake up 4 for a total of 1,703;
- Oxford up 3 for a total of 540;
- Wildwood up 2 for a total of 1,083; and
- Fruitland Park up 2 for a total of 834.
Below is a breakdown of other COVID-19 activity in the local area:
- Cases: 69,312 – increase of 158
- Deaths: 1,850
- Hospitalizations: 4,241
- Cases: 9,263 – increase of 14
- Deaths: 275
- Hospitalizations: 576
- Areas/cities with most cases: The Villages (4,244), Wildwood (1,083), Bushnell (1,026), Coleman (852) and Oxford (540).
- Cases: 29,290 – increase of 62
- Deaths: 628
- Hospitalizations: 1,519
- Cities with most cases: Clermont (7,845), Leesburg (4,388), Eustis (2,562), Mount Dora (2,141) and Tavares (2,028). The Villages also is reporting 184 cases.
- Cases: 30,759 – increase of 82
- Deaths: 947
- Hospitalizations: 2,146
- Cities with most cases: Ocala (22,474), Summerfield (1,911), Dunnellon (1,426), Belleview (1,362) and Silver Springs (674). The Villages also is reporting 183 cases.