84.7 F
The Villages
Thursday, March 23, 2023

Lithium-ion batteries are great but must be used safely

Lithium-ion batteries supply power to many kinds of devices including smart phones, laptops, e-scooters and e-bikes, e-cigarettes, smoke alarms, toys, and even cars.

If not used correctly, or if damaged, these batteries can catch on fire or explode.

These batteries store a large amount of energy in a small amount of space.

Like any product, a small number of these batteries are defective. They can overheat, catch fire, or explode.

Safety Tips

• Purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.

• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

• Only use the battery that is designed for the device.

• Put batteries in the device the right way.

• Only use the charging cord that came with the device.

• Do not charge a device under your pillow, on your bed, or on a couch.

• Do not keep charging the device or device battery after it is fully charged.

• Keep batteries at room temperature when possible. Do not charge them at temperatures below 32°F (O°C) or above 1O5°F (4O°C).

• Store batteries away from anything that can catch fire.

The Morse family doesn’t care what we want

In a Letter to the Editor, a Village of Silver Lake resident says the Morse family doesn’t care what the residents want.

The Villages is destroying our communities

A Lake Panasoffke resident contends The Villages is destroying the rural way of life so many love. Read her Letter to the Editor.

Golfers need to do their part at golf courses

A Village of Silver Lake resident, in a Letter to the Editor, contends that golfers need to do their part at the golf courses.

My grandson’s birthday card was looted

In a Letter to the Editor, a Village of Pinellas resident describes how a birthday card intended for her grandson was intercepted and looted.

We are so fortunate to have Gov. DeSantis!

A Village of Marsh Bend resident, in a Letter to the Editor, praises the leadership of Gov. Ron DeSantis.