80.3 F
The Villages
Thursday, June 8, 2023

Buckle up for all the people you love

Through June 4, state and local law enforcement agencies across the nation will work together to enforce seat belt laws. The national seat belt use rate in 2022 was 91.6 percent, which is good, but we can do better. The other 8.4 percent still need to be reminded that seat belts save lives. Many feel they don’t need to buckle up while in larger vehicles, in rural areas, or in the back seat.

  • Regardless of vehicle type or size, statistics show that seat belt use is the single most effective way to stay alive in a crash.
  • Too many people wrongly believe they are safe in the back seat unrestrained and again, statistics do not support that thinking.
  • Rural versus urban locations: In 2021, nearly half of all vehicle fatalities occurred in rural areas.
  • Always wear seat belts and make sure child car seats are properly installed.

And if you fail to buckle your seatbelt, you could face a $116 fine.

Let the Andersons keep their cross

In a Letter to the Editor, a Village of Belvedere resident contends a couple in The Villages should be allowed to keep their little white cross.

Did local media overlook the anniversary of D-Day?

A Village of Hawkins resident, in a Letter to the Editor, chides local media which did not properly mark the D-Day anniversary.

Little white cross is yard art

A Sharon Villas resident contends the little white crosses are yard art. Read his Letter to the Editor.

We moved to a retirement community not a timeshare community

In a Letter to the Editor, a Village of DeLuna resident says she moved to a retirement community, not a timeshare community.

They just want to break the rules

A Villa Berea resident, in a Letter to the Editor, contends the Villagers fighting to keep their little white cross simply want to break the rules.