A health inspector shut down a popular restaurant in The Villages after finding roaches, flying insects and food stored at improper temperatures.
Tuesday’s abrupt closing at Cody’s Original Roadhouse at Brownwood had diners scratching their heads and prompting long lines at other restaurants in Florida’s Friendliest Hometown.
The inspector found six high priority violations, including dead roaches on the cook line, small flying insects in the kitchen food preparation area, and improper storage of raw animal food.
“Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. Too numerous to count, approximately 75, on most wheels of oven and fryers on cook line. 3 running across floor under fryer, 1 live on inside of unused cooler on cook line,” the inspector wrote in the report which is on file with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Another high priority “potentially hazardous” violation involved food that was being reheated and was not at the proper temperature, the inspector found.
The inspector also found five intermediate violations and 20 basic violations.
The additional violations included a soiled towel in a bucket on the cook line, a dishwashing machine that did not meet sanitation standards, and black/green mold on soda dispensing nozzles. There was also standing water at the bottom of a reach-in cooler.
Someone who answered the phone at Cody’s at Brownwood said it is anticipated the restaurant will reopen at 11 a.m. Wednesday.