The Winter 2020 La Galleria Fine Arts Show & Sale is now open – and the winners have been selected.
The Visual Arts Association (VAA) opened the event at the La Hacienda Recreation Center, where it will hang until March 14. The show and sale features 26 original works by Villages artists that are available for sale by contacting them directly.
VAA Chairman Billie Edwards said the show’s judge, David Fithian, curator of art and exhibitions at the Museum of Art in Deland, was impressed with the quality and overall presentation of the members’ work. The show is open to the public and is free during regular recreation center hours.
The awards given to Villages artists and comments from Fithian include:
- First place: Peggy Lefebvre (“Red, White and Plaid”). “An accomplished watercolor in every way. Excellent portrait.”
- Second place: Harriet Dobbins (“Above The Crowd”). “A well-developed composition and nicely done with a limited pallet.”
- Third place: Sharon Wilson (“Pink Roses”). “Good use of soft textures and blending of the grid-weaving pattern with the delicate painting of the roses.”
- Award of Merit: Mike Daley (“Goodbye Dorian”). “Great feeling of wind, sunset, nice addition of dark clouds moving in to balance the composition.”
- Honorable mention: Diane Cita Timperley (“Petra”). “Well studied portrait of a person with a story.”
- First Place in Photography: Helen Poor (“Girl With a Feathered Hat”). “Goes beyond just a tender image of a young girl but seems to evoke a more universal vision of hope.”