New cases of COVID-19 have been identified among employees at two local long-term care facilities as the virus continues to sweep through The Villages and surrounding communities.
According to the Florida Department of Health, 18 staff members at Cypress Care Center, located at 490 S. Old Wire Rd., have tested positive for the virus – an increase of three since Tuesday. Five employees at The Club Health and Rehabilitation Center at The Villages, 16529 S.E. 86th Belle Meade Cir., also have been identified with COVID-19 – an increase of four since Aug. 2, the report says.
Forty-nine new cases of COVID-19 were identified Friday in and around The Villages for a total of 2,691 cases in the local area. Those include:
- The Villages (Sumter, Lake and Marion counties) up five for a total of 494;
- Leesburg up 24 for a total of 914;
- Lady Lake up 10 for a total of 225;
- Fruitland Park up three for a total of 120;
- Belleview up three for a total of 286;
- Wildwood up two for a total of 314;
- Summerfield up two for a total of 307; and
- Lady Lake portion of Sumter County total of 31.
Below is a breakdown of COVID-19 activity in the local area:
- Cases: 15,434 – increase of 263
- Deaths: 258
- Hospitalizations: 1,207
- Cases: 1,680 – increase of 52
- Deaths: 46
- Hospitalizations: 199
- Area with most cases: The Villages (466)
- Cases: 5,947 – increase of 95
- Deaths: 91 deaths
- Hospitalizations: 343
- City with most cases: Clermont (1,528)
- Cases: 7,807 – increase of 116
- Deaths: 121
- Hospitalizations: 665
- City with most cases: Ocala (6,174)
All told, Florida is reporting 593,286 COVID-19 cases – an increase of 4,684 from Thursday to Friday. Of those, 587,023 are residents. There have been 10,304 deaths and 35,997 people have been hospitalized across the Sunshine State. Those numbers show 118 more deaths since Thursday and an additional 347 people requiring hospital care.