Cody’s management issues statement after health inspector shuts down restaurant

Cody’s Original Roadhouse at Brownwood was allowed to re-open Wednesday even though a health inspector found 12 violations during a morning inspection.

The restaurant was forced to close its doors Tuesday after the inspector found numerous roaches, flying insects in the food preparation area and food kept at unsafe temperatures, according to a report on file with the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

A refrigeration repair truck was spotted Wednesday morning at Cody’s Original Roadhouse at Brownwood. An inspector found problems with equipment, including a walk-in cooler.

Repeat violations found again Wednesday morning included:

• Build-up of food debris, dust or dirt on nonfood-contact surface.

• Wiping cloth quaternary ammonium compound sanitizing solution not at proper minimum strength.

• Equipment in poor repair. Table at dish machine, rusted through, steam table at wait station rusted through on bottom. Shelves rusted in reach in cooler at wait station.

Floor tiles cracked, broken or in disrepair. Grout not even with tile in kitchen, cove base tiles broken, holding water.

• There was standing water in the bottom of a reach-in cooler.

• A fan cover in walk-in cooler had an accumulation of dust or debris.

• Walk-in cooler shelves with rust had a pitted the surface.

• Proof of required state-approved training was not available for some employees.

Cody’s management on Wednesday afternoon issued a statement to Villages-News.com.

“We are terribly sorry for the inconvenience we caused to our loyal patrons yesterday. We are proud to let you know that our staff worked diligently all day yesterday to remedy ALL the problems and violations noted by the Health Department, and, after a follow-up inspection this morning, we were cleared by the Health Department to re-open for business with a clean bill of health for public safety,” the statement said.

According to the inspection report that shut down the restaurant on Tuesday, some employees lacked basic information about the health requirements at a restaurant.

Employee has not received adequate training related to their assigned duties as evidenced by the inability to answer basic food safety questions. Dish washer does not know where test strips for chemical dish machine are, how to test for chlorine or what chlorine level should be. Discussed with employee and manager,” the inspector wrote in the report.

Two inspections last year also exposed shortcomings in cleanliness and health safety at the restaurant, although those inspections did not result in closures.